Sunday, 18 November 2007

Aaaaargh!!! (or a story about how rubbish I am at relationships)

A couple of years ago I went to a party at a friend's house and there was a rather nice bloke there. It wasn't the first time I'd met him* but it was the was first time I'd had a proper conversation with him.

Needless to say we got on like a house on fire, and I seem to remember that we spent the rest of the evening chatting. He tried (and failed) to teach me how to play snooker. I really liked him.

I also remember that we had a bit of a moment. This is somewhat hazy due to the large amount of alcohol I'd imbibed over the course of the evening, but I distinctly remember it happening. We'd popped outside for a cigarette, talking away, and when we finished our cigarettes we stayed outside for a bit, still talking. Then for no reason at all we stopped talking.

We were staring at each other for what seemed absolutely ages, and just as I thought "Yes! Something's about to happen..." my friend came outside to see what we were up to. Aaaaargh!!!

At which point we leapt about five feet away from each other, shuffling our feet. Which kind of spoiled the moment really.

Then I had to go back in and sort out my flatmate** who'd passed out on some chairs and everyone was getting a bit tired and one by one started drifting off to bed. I was very disappointed when he also went off to bed, when I was still trying to sort out said flatmate.

I still see quite a bit of him as he occasionally hangs out in my circle of friends, but we've never quite managed to recapture whatever it was between us that night. Sigh.


*The first time I met him we went to the cinema with his sister and her hubby and he bought me popcorn. This perturbed me so much that I spent the rest of the evening unable to talk to him. Go me!!

**Who on a later occasion managed to get further with this bloke than I ever have, much to my disappointment.

No comments: