Sunday, 6 January 2008

Why bosses are like children...

Having just got back from the forefront of high finance (yes I do know it's Sunday) I thought I'd write a quick post about Idiot Bosses.*

The majority of Idiot Bosses behave like children. Typical behavior of the Idiot Boss in his home environment tends to be in the form of the following:

Questions like:
  • "Where is the information I forgot to demand yesterday?"
  • "Why didn't you act on the idea I had in my head before I tried to sort it out myself?"
  • "Why did you leave the office at midnight without sorting out the issues above?

My interpretation of this behavior goes like this:

  • "Where is the toy I've just seen on TV, I want, I want, I want!"
  • "Mummy, I just poohed my pants!"
  • "Mummy, I just wet the bed!"
So it's appropriate to respond with the following:

  • "You can have the information for Christmas, but only if you're a very good boy."
  • "You've made a mess have you? Let me sort it out for you."
  • "Mummy wants her P45 please."

*I feel qualified to advise because I've had several of them.

3 comments:

LC said...

The main difference is that you can't get your boss off your back by giving them a lollipop and asking them to play quietly in another room for a couple of hours. I know, because I've tried...

Delirium said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Delirium said...

Hee hee!! I now have a vision of my boss doing just that!

My work version of the lollipop trick is to give the Idiot Bosses a very complicated bit of information (that they should) but don't understand.*

Cue boss retreating to office to read said information, usually for some time.**

Unfortunately my current boss knows far, far more than I do. So I don't get away with this kind of behaviour any more. Which is quite gutting really.

*This will only work with Idiot Bosses, who don't actually know very much but like to appear that they do.

**Sometimes, months would pass before the data was mentioned again.